Tuesday 3 April 2012

Mahler, Suk and the Boogie Woogie Flu


Apologies to those who have logged on waiting to pick up the second part of The Tale of Three Cities. You will have to a wait a little longer to find out what happened to the seventeen year old me thumbing and bumming around Europe in the summer of 1969.  The sad fact of life of a working blogger is that last week was financial year end which invariably obliges lawyers to endeavour to meet clients’ needs to close deals before 5thApril.  The powers that be in the office also require total commitment to certain financial disciplines.  Creative writing had to remain on the back burner while the demands of my legal practice took first place. 

Nevertheless, this blog is beginning to live without my continual intervention. Having had little time to check the stats I was delighted to see that, unceremoniously and hitherto unremarked, some time last week my blog passed more than a thousand views.  Seemingly, readers are located around the globe; in addition to the UK, folks are regularly checking in from Russia, the USA, Germany, Qatar, Israel and Australia amongst others. There are none yet from Africa but maybe that will change once I start attacking my much-loved collection of music from Mali and Senegal.

In spite of what was happening at work, last week I did find time to indulge in some culture.  The irrepressible Yannick Nézet-Séguin was billed to conduct the London Philharmonic at the Royal Festival Hall last Wednesday.  At last, I hear some of you say, he’s finally got round to his Classical collection.  Indeed I have, though, as with all of the other genres of music, and records, that I like, my relationship with Classical is somewhat different to the rest. 

Following the demise of the North Sea pirate stations in 1967 – yes, yes there will be a blog about that in due course – I set about exploring the radio dial.  I started an occasional dalliance with Radio 3 which, nowadays, is my first choice station.  Not long after discovering the measured tranquillity that frequently inhabits what is now 91.0 FM, a weekly part work called ‘The Great Composers’ was launched in the UK.  Each week a 10 inch vinyl album was published in a fancy cover that included a booklet dedicated to the composer, the music featured and related socio-historical material.  This groundbreaking multi-media package could be bought from newsagents for about 15 shillings a pop; that is the equivalent of 75p but with the purchasing power of about £7.50.  For my second biggest constituency of followers in the USA that’s the equivalent of $1.20 and $12.00.  Unfortunately, the exigencies of teenage life in London did not permit me to allocate enough of my limited budget to indulge in buying all 120 issues of ‘The Great Composers’. 

The first part featured Beethoven’s Pastoral Symphony, Ludwig’s sixth, played by the Royal Philharmonic conducted by Charles Groves.  One of a relatively small number of symphonies to consist of five movements as opposed to the more usual four, the Pastoral includes many great melodies.  I played the album endlessly and read the booklet until I could virtually quote it by heart.  The piece is still one of my favourites.  I only managed to buy another two of the Great Composers packages – both Beethoven.  One of the albums features piano sonatas including the Moonlight and the Pathetique.  It was subsequently employed as romantic/seduction background music on the all too rare occasions when I managed to persuade girls to come back to my room at University.  I don’t actually remember it ever ‘working’.  My last buy in the series was Beethoven’s 1st Symphony which, prior to writing this blog, I hadn’t listened to for donkeys’ years.

Having acquired three classical records, I reverted to the fervent accumulation of rock albums.  I didn’t buy another classical record until my second year at University – of which more anon.  Nevertheless, having got the bug I wanted to go and hear a symphony orchestra play live.  Every week, my parents bought The Sunday Times.  Included in its then fairly thin review section were advertisements for what was called ‘the Four Orchestra Series’ at the Royal Festival Hall.  The week’s upcoming concerts were set out in a rectangular box down the side of a page of cultural announcements.  Just the names of the orchestras excited me: the Royal Philharmonic, the London Symphony, the London Philharmonic and the Philharmonia.  I mooted the prospect of heading to the South Bank with the friends I was making at my then new school.  The responses were along the lines that they were otherwise committed and/or, in any event, that watching paint dry would be preferable.

One Sunday, with nothing else planned, I spotted that the Royal Philharmonic was playing that evening.  I think it must have been around the Spring of 1969.  The programme included Josef Suk’s Asrael Symphony.  I didn’t have a clue what it was and I had never heard of Josef Suk.  However, with a name like that – mysterious and Eastern European sounding - it couldn’t be anything other than amazing, surely?

I remember phoning up the ticket office and reserving a seat in the side stalls – by the stage and under the boxes for about 7 shillings.  It was a bright sunny evening as I strolled along the rows of faux Tudor houses that lined my route to Edgware station.  I assumed a somewhat different persona to my usual gigging self.  Leaving the jeans and t-shirts that I would usually have worn to smoky clubs hosting guitar based rock or blues, I put on my one and only suit – dark navy.  I felt very grown up as I took the tube to Waterloo, no doubt with a Penguin Modern Classic in hand! 

Suk’s Asrael Symphony is a majestic work that runs for about an hour or so.  Its orchestration calls for 12 double-basses and I was sat right over them.  There is a grand bass refrain – riff if you like – that reappears at different points in the piece and which has resonated in my mental juke box ever since.  The Suk is a sombre composition that was written in memory of the composer’s father-in-law, Antonin Dvorak – who, of course, turned out many altogether better known works.  Asrael is the Islamic angel of death who leads the souls of the deceased to a state of perpetual bliss.  There is nothing quite like hearing a full symphony orchestra in full flight. The sound of a hundred or so unamplified instruments playing together is awe-inspiring.  The experience blew me away. 

The next day I was at Hendon Library, which in those days loaned out records, from which I ordered its copy of the Suk and in which I immersed myself until I risked a fine for its late return!  I finally got around to buying my own copy –on CD – earlier this year on one of my too rare visits to Amoeba, of which, too, more anon.

While I greatly enjoy listening to Classical music, I don’t have the same depth of appreciation and breadth of knowledge about it as I do of, say, sixties/seventies rock or post-1960 Jazz.  That being so, I take a somewhat generic approach to buying Classical records and attending concerts.  In recent years, however, I have become somewhat addicted to the boxes on the Blue Side of the Festival Hall that I regularly attend, especially when the magnificent London Philharmonic is playing.  About two years ago I discovered its frequent guest, Yannick Nézet-Séguin, when he was conducting one of the Brahms symphonies (I think). His performances are extraordinary, totally immersed in the music and ethereally connected to the sound that he conjures out of his musicians.  I book to see every Festival Hall Concert he plays with the LPO.  The highlight thus far was last Autumn and Berlioz's Symphonie Fantastique.  During the last of its many crescendos I thought Yannick was going to literally fly off the podium into the air. I decided to buy a recording of the piece heading to HMV the next day and locating a fabulous recording by Daniel Barenboim and the Berlin Philharmonic. To illustrate the generic approach to much of my classical record buying, when I got it home I discovered that I already had a recording of the piece by the Rotterdam Orchestra conducted by … yup … none other than said Mr Yannick Nézet-Séguin! 

The nugget of fun and culture that was scheduled to break up the hard work of financial year end didn’t quite work out.  The anticipation of watching the youthful Canadian maestro leading the LPO through its chops on Mahler 9 (I’m still a jazzer at heart) kept me going through the thick of some heavyweight contract negotiations until I got the Festival Hall on Wednesday evening.  Unfortunately Yannick had come down with a bad case of gastric something or other and was indisposed.  I desist from making comparisons to the rocking’ pneumonia and the boogie woogie flu.  His place was taken by Matthew Coorey, a young Australian. My one-liner about missing his principal didgeridoo player uttered in a bad Ozzie accent, while prompting a suppressed titter from my companion, didn’t go down too well with those sharing the box.  Nevertheless, the relative unknown gave an assured performance which reached a high spot with the shimmering effervescence of the final movement. 

Apologies – more apologies you say - for turning what was intended as a short stop-gap about a concert into a totally different piece.  It’s the way this blog seems to work.  However, year end is now ended, I have a week’s holiday and I will shortly return to 1969 and the autoroute from Paris to Antwerp.

Beethoven: Symphony No 1 and Symphony No 6 ‘The Pastoral’ are performed by the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra conducted by Charles Groves; Piano Sonatas: ‘Moonlight’ and ‘Pathetique’ are performed by Alfred Brendel; all three are 10 inch vinyl albums released in 1969 by Marshall Cavendish in its Great Composer part work series. Suk: ‘Asrael Symphony’ is played by the Czech Philharmonic under Charles Mackerras, also an Australian and was released on CD by Supraphone in 2011.  Brahms Symphonies 1-4 are included with a selection of Brahms other orchestral works in a 3CD set on EMI Classics released in 2004; the recordings date back to 1955, 1958 and 1962 and feature the Philharmonia Orchestra and Chorus conducted by Otto Klemperer.  I also have vinyl albums of Brahms 1st by the Berlin Philharmonic under Rudolf Kempe released by MFP in 1959; the Berlin also performed the second under Karl Bohm in 1966 released by Heliodor.  The first of my two recordings of Berlioz: ‘Symphonie Fantastique’ is by Yannick Nézet-Séguin and the Rotterdam Orchestra released on CD by Bis in 2010; the second is by Daniel Barenboim and the Berlin Philharmonic released by CBS Masterworks in 1985. ‘Rockin’ Pneumonia and the Boogie Woogie Flu’ is by Jerry Lee Lewis; I don’t have a recording of it at home – at least I don’t think I have, but thought it would be fun to include this reference: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RI1r-D2B3SI



2 comments:

  1. I am practising the Moonlight at the moment and used to play the Pathetique but there has never been any noticeable effect on Nicole!
    sp

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll look forward to hearing you play it in July!

      Delete